Internet Explorer has a large number of users around the world. Many times, the users get internet explorer cannot display the webpage error. The user is not able to success any website using Internet explorer. The error won’t tell you why you are not able to open the site and you can only make assumptions before stating to fix the error. The main source of error may be a software or connectivity issue.
Before proceeding with the troubleshooting, make sure that you are having a good internet speed and there are no VPN’s running on the system. Disable antivirus or Firewall software if you are running any.
Methods to fix internet explorer cannot display the webpage
Here, we are going to discuss some easy fixes to solve the issue of internet explorer not working
Reset Internet explorer
- Press windows key + R simultaneously. Type inetcpl.cpl in the Run-box and click OK.
- Go to “Advanced” tab.
- Click on Reset button.
- Check next to Delete Personal settings and click on Reset.
- This will reset the internet explorer to its default settings.
- Re-open internet explorer to check.
- Hold Ctrl+ Shift+ B keys.
Verify Proxy settings1
When the proxy settings are invalid, they deviate internet explorer from the right path and give this error.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run box.
- Type inetcpl.cpl and click OK.
- From the connections tab, click on the LAN settings button.
- Check next to Automatically detect settings. The other two boxes must be unchecked.
- Click on OK.
- Close all windows.
- Restart Internet explorer.
Check your IP address
Incorrect settings restrict access to the internet and IP address also conflicts.
- Press and hold windows +R key simultaneously. In the run box type ncpa.cpl.
- Click OK.
- If you are using wired connection, Right click on the Local area connection. If you are using wireless network connection, right click on Wireless network connection.
- Go to properties in the drop-down menu.
- Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4).
- Click on Obtain an IP address automatically.
- Click on Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- Click on OK and then again OK.
- Close all windows.
- Now restart your system and see if the problem is solved or not.
Many times, router has problem in establishing a connection with ISP. If you are able to connect other devices like smart-phones, tablets etc. to Wi-Fi or Ethernet using this router, then the router is working fine. To fix this issue, follow these steps:
- Turn off your router and unplug it from the power adapter.
- Plug back the adapter after 30 seconds.
- Turn it on.
- Check to see if the issue is fixed or not.
Reset windows Socket TCP/IP stack
Incoming and outgoing requests are handled using Windows socket program. If you find any problem with it, simply reset it.
- Press Windows key and type cmd.
- Right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.
- Type this command in the black command prompt window
- nbtstat -R
- netsh int reset all
- netsh int ip reset
- netsh winsock reset
- Reboot your system and see if the issue is solved or not.
Disable Enhanced protected mode
In windows 8, enhanced protected mode of Internet explorer 10 increases security but also cause such browser issues.
- Press Windows + R key to open the run dialog box.
- Type inetcpl and click on OK.
- From the Advanced tab.
- Look for Enable enhanced protected mode under settings and unchecked it.
- Click on OK and restart to check if the problem is solved.