Mac is considered one of the most versatile systems. They work well for specific tasks. There are a lot of users of Mac worldwide. But any machine is susceptible to poor performance after that device has been used for a long time. The same thing happens with the mac. Almost every reason that slows down our mac can be solved by factory resetting our mac. Factory resetting your MacBook pro will make it as if it was fresh like you bought it. If you are one of the users of mac who wants to do this, here is a complete and accurate guide to answer all your questions on how to factory reset macbook pro. We have discussed every step in detail. Go through the article carefully and follow the steps as mentioned if you are asking how to reset macbook pro to factory settings. Basically, these are the things you should care about while factory resetting your MacBook pro:
- Establish proper internet connection (this will enable you to download the latest version of the OS)
- Create a Backup of the files that you have on your macbook pro.
- Sign out of all the accounts that you are linked to using your macbook pro.
- Sign out of the iCloud.
- Restart your macbook pro in recovery mode.
- Erase the hard drive.
- Reinstall the macOS on your macbook pro.
Now we will be discussing every step in detail.
1. Internet Connection:
- You can have a proper internet connection using your Wi-Fi router or any other means. Doing this will be able to download the latest version of the OS on your macbook pro.
2. Back up the data on your device:
- In order to avoid any data loss, you should create back up for the data that is stored on your device. There are several ways to do it. One of the easiest ways is to make a clone of your hard drive. You can use the software SuperDuper for this. All you have to do is use an external hard drive. Choose your main hard drive as the source and the external hard disk as the destination. Then click on the option clone to initiate this process. Proceed to the next step after the cloning is finished.
3. Sign out of the accounts (especially the iTunes):
- This is one of the most important steps if you are asking about how to factory reset macbook pro. You can sign out of the third-party apps by following their instructions but in case you are having difficulties in signing out of the iTunes, you should know that it happens because different versions of the iTunes have different functions. We will be discussing this issue in detail:
- For the older versions of the iTunes
- Open iTunes on our device.
- Click on the option Store.
- From the drop down list, click on the option deauthorize this computer.
For the later versions(especially iTunes 12)
- Open iTunes on your macbook pro.
- Click on Accounts.
- Then, select the option Authorisations.
- From the list of options, click on the option Deauthorize this computer.
- Turn off the iCloud:
You can disable iCloud on your device by following the steps mentioned below:
- Open the System Preferences. Then, select iCloud from that list.
- Click on the option Sign-out.
- In case, you want to erase all the personal data, you should uncheck the following boxes: iCloud Drive, Contacts and then click on continue.
- Then, you will be asked to enter the Apple ID password.
Wait till this process is finished.
4. Restart your macbook pro in recovery mode:
- Now you have come to the most significant portion in case you are asking about how to factory reset macbook pro. You can enter the recovery mode by following the steps mentioned below:
- After you have turned ON your Macbook pro, click on the Apple logo available on the top-left corner of the screen and click on Restart.
- Hold the command plus R keys until you see the apple logo on the screen. (You may see something else based on the version of OS you are using)
- It will take a while and then your macbook will start in the recovery mode. You will see the recovery mode utility window after your macbook pro has been started in the recovery mode.
5. Erasing the hard drive/ Mac drive:
- Now you are almost done about how to factory reset macbook pro. To erase your hard drives/ Mac drives, follow the steps mentioned below:
- From the list of options, click on Disk Utility.
- Click on your main hard drive.
- Click on the erase button and then click on Erase to confirm.
- After this process is complete, you can quit this program. You have to go to the top menu and then click on option Disk Utility and then click Quit Disk Utility.
6. Reinstall OS on your Macbook pro:
- You have almost completed this process, now you are required to do the last thing and that is to reinstall the OS on your Macbook pro. You need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Click on Reinstall MacOS from the options and then click on Continue.
- You will be asked to agree with the terms and conditions before the installation of this software on your macbook pro.
- Choose where you want to install the software (that should be Macintosh HD), then, click on
- Now your macbook pro will start downloading and installing the OS. It may take some time.
- After this process is complete, your macbook pro will restart and then you may be asked to enter the Apple ID and the
Now, you have finished this process. You have got every possible answer about how to factory reset a macbook pro. We have discussed every step in detail that must have helped you while doing this. But, if you have found any difficulty in resetting your Macbook pro, feel free to contact us anytime. We have got a team of experts to solve all your problems related to PCs and phones. You can contact us through our website and the other contact details provided below.